Sunday, June 8, 2008

Summertime at LHG

Tonight I had a hard time coming up with a plan for dinner. After a day outside gardening and attending an afternoon outside BBQ, I wanted to eat something cool. Some Dippity ice cream or gelato came to mind (both 10% off right now by the way) but I'd just be hungry in half an hour. It's still too early for the bounty of tomatoes that will arrive in a few weeks so no tomato/mozzarella salads or juicy sandwiches with fresh tomato. Urgh.

So we ate egg salad sandwiches on a Companion baguette. I used eggs from Farrar Out Farms, a little mayonnaise (sorry we don't sell the kind I used), mustard, pickle, onion, celery and I added fresh dill and parsley from my garden and used the last of my lettuce (it'll probably be bitter in a couple of days). It was so good and we ate it outside which seemed appropriate.

And here's a weird thought--I wonder why no one ever sells plain hard boiled eggs. Stores sell cut carrots, celery, cheese, etc, but really, it's harder to boil an egg than cut up celery. And you know every now and then you just want a hard boiled egg. Hmm.

Stay dry this week and let's hope for some sun so our farmers' crops can grow.

2 comments:

Margaret Howard said...

Actually I have seen hard boiled eggs for sell in Schnuck's, I think it was! They come in a little plastic mini-carton thingy. Or maybe it was Shop 'n' Save? It's been a while. I wonder if they'd sell at your store?

CowgirlPam said...

Maddie what a lovely post.
Yes, Schnucks does sell single hard boiled eggs. As opposed to married hard boiled eggs. I'm sure the Republicans wouldn't let eggs marry each other