Sunday, June 1, 2008

Permits and cycling

We had our zoning hearing last Thursday (May 29) for Local Harvest Cafe and Catering. The best I could gather it looks like everything is a go as long as we provide parking for folks. Lucky for us our fabulous landlord Rich Codd already had a plan in place for that. I have to say I was more nervous than I would have thought when going before this commission. And I think that nervousness stifled me for awhile, 'cause the second I got outside I started thinking about how weird it was that we absolutely had to have parking in order to get the permit.

So, is this because 1) The city knows that restaurants with parking are more successful? 2) The city is concerned that the cafe would take spaces from residents since it is both commercial and residential or 3) Is the City of St. Louis in cahoots with the big oil companies? It all made me feel sad again about how car dependent we all are--me included. This ruling came at the same time I was reading this amazing article in Bicycling magazine (June 2008) called "The Way It Should Be Is The Way It Is." How great it would be if we all rode our bikes more often. The article tells of the author's trip to Holland and details the resources they have put into major bikeways. That's right, bikeways not highways. It's a great read full of mind boggling stats like the fact that in Groningen, they expect that in 2008 65% of all trips in the city will be made by bicycle--65%. Shocking. Even in the most bike friendly areas of the U.S. the highest rates are about 3%.

Good news is the cafe will open and we'll have all of our permits, etc. And I guess the good news is that you can park your car at the cafe. And even more good news, you can also park your bike.

Can't wait to see you at the cafe--hopefully around June 20!

-maddie

No comments: