Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quiche

It's a great time for Quiche. Mmm. Here's a dish I made last night. I like to make a big ol' quiche so I use a large, deep, ceramic pie pan. If using a small pan you will probably have some leftover dough and I would cut the filling a little. Let me also say that even though I used an enormous pie pan, four of us ate the whole thing. Sure, I had good intentions to save a piece for my son who was already in bed, but alas he'll have to wait to have some of his mama's quiche. Sad.


Nut crust:
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds
1 1/2-1 3/4 cup flour (can mix a little whole wheat flour in with white)
5 TBLS butter
5-6 TBLS ice cold water

Grind nuts ( I use a small coffee grinder to do this) until they are super small and try not to get to nut butter consistency although I've had this happen and the recipe still works. Mix nuts, flour and butter. Mix together using a pastry cutter or forks. Do this until it is consistency of cornmeal. Then slowly mix in water until the dough sticks together. You want the dough to be slightly moist not wet. Roll out and chill until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 375

Filling:
1 medium red onion
1/2 lb swiss chard chopped (can use broccoli, kale, mushrooms)
5 slices of tomato
5 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Nancy's Organic Plain. You can use milk instead of yogurt for a softer quiche consistency. I like mine a little more firm. )
6 0z grated cheese ( I used Morningland Dairy Med Sharp. Be sure to use a cheese with a lot of flavor)
fresh herbs (I used dill, parsley, and chives)
salt
ground pepper

Saute onion in a little olive oil until onion begins to soften. Add chopped chard (be sure to remove most of the stem especially if they are big leaves) and saute until wilted. While this is cooking, mix eggs and yogurt together. Cut (I just use kitchen scissors to cut fresh herbs ) herbs and add to mixture. I would say I probably had a 1/4 cup of herbs total. Mix in salt and pepper.

Putting it together:
If you haven't already, put pie crust into your pie pan. Now add a layer of cheese to bottom. This keeps your crust from getting soggy by providing a barrier of fat. Mmm. Next add chard/onion mixture. Pour custard on top of your filling. Lay tomato slices on top and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Let it cool. We served ours with a little cucumber/tomato salad and bread.

3 comments:

Ya Chun said...

Yum- I am going to try this.

Do you have any suggestions for the fresh beets that are in the store now?

Anonymous said...

um....I was among the four super-consumers of this quiche and can testify to its major delicousness.

Anonymous said...

We made this recipe and it was as delicious as you describe! And for the record, real men DO eat quiche.