Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fennel and fava beans



Local Harvest Grocery is overflowing with delicious produce both local and non-local organic. Local yummies-zucchini, squash, spinach, fennel, kohlrabi, GARGANTUAN broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, lettuce, and spring onions. Mmm, mmm good. Non-local tasty treats include fava beans, peaches, plums, pink lady apples, and grapefruit.

Tonight I made a pasta with fava beans and spinach, a side of lightly sauteed fennel, and sliced tomato with balsamic vinegar. I am new to the fava bean and I'm now a convert. Clara (our catering manager and maker of Clara's hummus, black bean dip, artichoke dip, etc....) told me how to prepare that crazy fava. First bust open the big pod, then throw the beans in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and then remove the skin of the bean. You're left with a bright green bean. I then sauteed it in a little butter and olive oil, and added a bit of salt and pepper. I added spinach to the same pan after a few minutes and cooked it down a bit. As per Pat's suggestion, I mashed the fava beans and tossed the beans and spinach with some Parmesan cheese. I served it on Mangia Pasta (tagliatelle) and tossed it with a little more olive oil. Not kidding you--it was one of the tastiest meals.

The fennel was also unbelievably good. I chopped it and lightly sauteed it in butter and that's it. I just used a little. It was so nutty and flavorful. I wish I had more 'cause I'm still thinking about it.

Yours in a vegetable bounty,
Maddie

No comments: