Monday, May 12, 2008

Asparagus

I know the crazy winds of Sunday suggest otherwise, but I swear it is Spring. I know this because on Saturday we received our first delivery of locally grown asparagus. I'd eaten a few of the asparagus shoots that popped up in my backyard patch. Patch is probably too generous of a word for it, but regardless I cooked up those tiny little guys a couple weeks ago and made my family savor them. It was a quick experience--sorry slow food.

Anyway, I was glad to get a nice sizable bunch from the store. I can be a bit of a purist about my vegetables and a lot of times the only thing I do is steam them for a bit and then eat them--no salt, no butter, no nothin'. That's how we ate them on Sunday and they were delicious. We enjoyed them (even our 14 month old) along with some homemade lasagna that I made for us on Mother's Day. That's right, I cooked the Mother's Day meal. And I enjoyed it. I promise. Although you can still give Jason a hard time about it.

More local produce will be coming soon and I can't wait.

Yours in eating,
Maddie

1 comment:

Matthew said...

you don't need to tell me. when i saw that asperagus today i stopped right in front of it. i paused for nearly 30 seconds, and kept walking back to it, even though i couldn't get perishables (out of town for the next week). yum!