Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Trend for smaller stores

Just read an interesting article in the NY Times sent to me by Clara. Curious what others might think about it. Obviously I think Local Harvest is pretty great and we're radically smaller than even the supposedly tiny 10,000 square foot stores they describe. One of the things I love about the size of LHG is that it is not overwhelming to shop. Prior to opening the store I really didn't enjoy grocery shopping. I always felt like there were too many choices and that it was so sterile. And some Farmer's Markets, while certainly full of character, can feel overwhelming when they are super big and have tons of vendors. One of the reasons I like Tower Grove Farmer's Market and the Maplewood Market is that they are manageable.

Anyway, click this link and let me know what you think.

--Maddie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why I shop at Vincent's 12th Street Market in Soulard. It's small, I can be in and out in ten minutes. Also, it's on my way home from work.
However, they haven't updated any of their items in 30 years. I wish they were like Local Harvest...

clara said...

one of the things i always loved about new york city is the small stores on every block.

you are never far away from a place to grab something, and with all the competition, the stores have to have diverse and quality products squeezed into their tiny square footage.

small neighborhood stores is a thing st. louis has been without for far too long.

on the streets surrounding my house, you can see the remnants of old stores from before schnucks moved in. (not a jab at scnucks, but the movement in the 80's towards megamarts).

cherokee street is still holding on, trying to retain a little dignity - housing four markets and a number of small retail stores.

i personally dislike standing in the factory line as my items are passed over a scanner and my money collected. give me a little personality, a little human contact. and i don't need to choose from 15 different kinds of applesauce.