Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Broiled eggplant


I know some folks are afraid to cook eggplant but I'm going to give you a super easy and delicious way to fix them. You can use the Japanese eggplants (from Spikenard Farm) as pictured, or the traditional eggplants which are larger and more bulbous.

Thinly slice the eggplant. Leave the skins on. Lightly coat the slices in a marinade of olive oil, minced garlic and salt. Set oven to Hi-Broil and pre-heat. Broil for approximately five minutes on each side. For a more substantial dish, prepare zucchini in the same way. I like to also toss onion and peppers in the mix and broil those as well. The other evening I made this dish with eggplant, zucchini, onion, sweet and hot peppers and served it on a bed of quinoa which I had cooked in a vegetable broth. I also prepared a side of collard greens and served it with Parmesan bread.
You can make this dish in about thirty minutes.
Broiled eggplant is also great on an open faced sandwich with goat cheese, mushrooms, onions, and red pepper.

4 comments:

madsp said...

I'm about to harvest my first Japanese eggplant (I'm oh so proud) and I've been trying to think of a recipe that would be tasty, yet not cover up the eggplant's flavor. The goat cheese option sounds delicious as well. Thanks!

Maddie, Co-Owner said...

How exciting. The harvest. Let us know how it turns out.
-m

Anonymous said...

OMG that picture is just wrong

Maddie, Co-Owner said...

Oh Paul. It's just eggplant. :)