Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Avocado tacos

Even though the weather is so great, I still didn't want to turn on my oven or stove the other night. So, we had one of my favorite easy dishes --Avocado Tacos.
So here goes:
2 chopped avocados
4 Tbls chopped red onion (local at LHG)
1/2 can of corn (fresh if you have it--we're out right now)
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1-2tsp cumin
salt to taste
1 chopped hot pepper (some at LHG now)
juice from 1 lime
1 tomato (local at LHG)
2-3 handfuls of mixed lettuce
tortillas ( I used spinach tortillas--corn or flour will work. You can also make these as tostados. I recently realized that I can toast corn tortillas in my toaster oven to get them nice and crunchy and I don't have to turn on the oven.)

GARNISH
hot sauce (Arnie's or Happy Dogs available at LHG and both are local)
cheese
sour cream or plain yogurt

Mix all ingredients. I usually put avocados in last so that they don't get too mashed. Gently stir and then season to taste. I like to then garnish the taco or burrito with cheese (I used Morningland Medium Sharp), yogurt (Nancy's Organic Whole Milk) and hot sauce
sour cream or plain yogurt--optional

No comments: